The Housing Element is one of the seven mandated elements of the City’s General Plan. It is the only element of the General Plan required by the State to be updated on a set schedule. The City does not construct housing but is required by the State to plan to demonstrate during the planning period that it can accommodate a specific number of units that meet specific income categories. This is referred to as our Regional Housing Needs Allocation (RHNA).
According to State law, the Housing Element must address the following:
• Provide achievable goals, policies, quantified objectives and scheduled programs to preserve, improve and develop housing opportunities,
• Identify and analyze existing and projected housing needs for all economic segments of the community,
• Identify sites that are suitable for residential development during the eight-year housing cycle that with help meet the city’s fair share of regional housing needs at all income levels,
• Identify the special housing needs of the community including the homeless, farmworkers and persons with disabilities,
• Be certified (approved) by the State Department of Housing & Community Development (HCD) as complying with state law,
• Be internally consistent with other parts of the City's Local Coastal Program.
NEW! - 2020-2028 Housing Element Certified
On August 25, 2020, the City Council adopted the 2020-2028 Housing Element which is available below with City Council Resolution 79-20.
2020-2028 Housing Element, adopted August 25, 2020 and certified by HCD on September 4, 2020.
CEQA Environmental Review - Public Review Period May 22, 2020 - June 22, 2020
* Initial Study / Negative Declaration Public Draft Environmental Document Available. Negative Declaration (ND) was adopted by City Council on August 25, 2020.
Housing Element (2014-2019):
The City’s current 2014-2019 Housing Element was adopted by City Council and certified by HCD in 2014. This Housing Element describes the City’s plan for addressing the housing needs of its residents as identified in 2014.
Housing Element Annual Progress Reports
Following adoption of the Housing Element, each jurisdiction is required to create annual reports on the status and progress in implementing the housing element of its general plan using forms and definitions adopted by HCD. The reports are submitted to HCD for review on or before April 1 for the previous calendar year. Past annual reports for the City are included below: