- Your Government
- Departments & Divisions
- Community Development
- Planning Division
Effective January 3, 2023, public counter hours for the Community Development Department are 8am - 4pm Mondays through Thursdays.
New! The City of Morro Bay has developed an Electronic Plan Review (EPR) program designed to streamline the plan submittal process, reduce paper waste, reduce expense, and reduce the inconvenience of printing and shipping multiple copies of construction plans.
Electronic Plan Review will allow concurrent review by Morro Bay staff which will reduce plan review times and will create a consolidated corrections list that can be used to track and respond to comments.
To submit your application via the Permit Portal, click here.
Our goal is to provide the community with direction and guidance to achieve the goals and objectives set forth in the General Plan and Local Coastal Plan.
Our objective is to create and facilitate an effective partnership with the residents and businesses in the community by providing an open and transparent planning process with an emphasis on citizen involvement and participation that results in a fair, objective, predictable, and accountable planning process.
A guiding principle is that all new and remodeled development fit into the small-town scale of the community while preserving and strengthening the unique small coastal town image and character of Morro Bay. A continuing emphasis will be to promote and encourage sustainable development practices involving all aspects of green building techniques and materials, low-impact development, and energy-efficient development.
Services & Links
- Planning Applications - Updated
- Planning Hot Topics
- Planning Fees (Master Fee Schedule FY2022-23 effective 7/1/22)
- Zoning Ordinance Updated - New Ordinance 654 adopted 11/22/22
- Zoning Ordinance - Title 17 of Morro Bay Municipal Code
- Zoning Map (certified 1997 - current)
- Zoning Map 2022 -New (pending Coastal Commission certification)
- 2021 General Plan (Plan Morro Bay)
- 2021 Land Use Map
- Coastal Appeals Jurisdiction Boundary Map
- 2020-2028 Housing Element
- ADU Handout - Update to California State Law for Accessory Dwelling Units effective 1/1/2020
- ADU Handbook from State Department of Housing (HCD), July 2022
- Planning Commission
- Residential Design Guidelines, adopted by City Council July 2015
- Current Planning Projects
- Planning Project Appeal Form
- Environmental Review Documents (CEQA)
- Policy for Small Wireless Facilities (City Council Resolution 21-19)
- Urgency Ordinance 620 for Small Wireless Facilities adopted March 26, 2019
- Commercial Medical Cannabis Operation Application
- Commercial Cannabis Renewal Application
- Downtown Waterfront Strategic Plan (DWSP)
- Other Plans and Studies
- Subdivision Ordinance
- Green Building Incentive Program
- Sea Shell Estates CC&Rs and Design Manual
- Cloisters Design Guidelines 1997
- Major Vegetation Guidelines for Removal, Replacement, and Protection
- Waterfront Public Amenities Design Guidelines Policy Memo