Current Restricted Water Supply Condition - Severely Restricted §13.04.345(b)
Mandatory Water Conservation Requirements
The City Council during emergencies may impose mandatory water conservation measures. The different levels of mandatory water conservation requirements can be found in Morro Bay Municipal Code Section 13.04.345.
How to Read Your Water Bill
Your water bill is reported in units. One unit is equal to 100 cubic feet (HCF) of water or 748 gallons.
Calculating Your Bill
Do you know how many gallons per person you use each day(GPD)? Here is an example of a bill to show you how you can calculate what your GPD. Learn more by viewing the How to Calculate Average Daily Usage (PDF).
Retrofit - Water Conservation Rebate Program
The City of Morro Bay funds a Water Conservation Rebate Program, which provides cash rebates rain barrels, removing grass and SMART irrigation controllers.
Indoor Water Conservation
- Never pour water down the drain when there may be another use for it. Use it to water your indoor plants or garden.
- Repair dripping faucets by replacing washers. One drop per second wastes 2,700 gallons of water per year!
- Check all plumbing for leaks. Have leaks repaired by a plumber.
- Retrofit all household faucets by installing aerators with flow restrictors.
- Install an instant hot water heater on your sink.
- Insulate your water pipes to reduce heat loss and prevent them from breaking.
- Turn the softener off while on vacation or consider eliminating your self regenerating water softener.
- Choose appliances that are more energy and water efficient.
Outdoor Water Conservation General Tips
- Plant native and/or drought-tolerant grasses, ground covers, shrubs, and trees.
- Go on a "Lawn Diet."
- Once established, native plants do not need water as frequently and usually will survive a dry period without watering. Small plants require less water to become established. Group plants together based on similar water needs.
- Install irrigation devices that are the most water efficient for each use. Micro and drip irrigation and soaker hoses are examples of efficient devices.
- Use mulch to retain moisture in the soil. Mulch also helps control weeds that compete with landscape plants for water.
- Avoid purchasing recreational water toys that require a constant stream of water.
- Avoid installing ornamental water features (such as fountains) unless they use recycled water.
Greywater - Green Building Incentives
The City of Morro Bay funds a Green Building Incentive Program (PDF) which provides a 20% permit fee rebate for eligible greywater projects.